Sunday, February 20, 2011

Reading the Infallible Word

While I try to link to books I've actually read--rather than read about--this book review on Salon.com is worth commenting on even though I have yet to read "The Rise and Fall of the Bible" by Timothy Beal. The book, written by a Christian, is an argument against reading the Bible as the "infallible" Word of God, but encourages us instead to read it as a "work of art--that is, as a text permitting multiple interpretations and as a spur to further thought and self-examination rather than as the last word on all of life's enigmas."

People who argue whether the Bible is the Infallible Word of God or can be open for interpretation are--in my humble opinion--missing the point entirely. I don't have a problem saying the Bible is the Infallible Word of God. There, I said it. I could have easily said that the Bible is not the Infallible Word of God. Regardless of my stance, EVERY book is open for interpretation. That's why you have so many Christians believing entirely different things.

Unless God walks in the door and sits down on the couch beside you and gives you His direct interpretation, the only interpretation you are left with...is your own. Ask 100 people to sit in the same room and read a certain passage of the Bible, and I guarantee you that you get an abundance of interpretations.

The fact that all books are open for interpretation is why I value the rich world of literature. Even for those authors who choose to spoon feed me--unless they're sitting on the couch next to me and telling me exactly what they meant by each and every sentence--I'm still seeing the world from my own personal viewpoint. If the author is lucky, I'll at least get enough from my experience that my viewpoint will be expanded just enough to keep me curious on my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment