Friday, March 11, 2011

To Teach is to Learn

The Introduction of  A Course in Miracles says that "the role of teaching and learning is actually reversed in the thinking of the world...seems as if the teacher and the learner are separated, the teacher giving something to the learner rather than to himself." The Course goes on to say that "to teach is to learn...that teacher and learner are the same."

While I consider A Course in Miracles a sacred text, this thought is applicable on the natural plane...and never more so than in writing. I believe that in teaching others about writing (whether in the classroom) or on this blog--through sharing my experience etc.--I learn more about writing than I have ever learned as a student.

If, as a writer, you are having trouble recognizing that writing is just as natural as breathing... start teaching. And I'm not asking that you get a job at the local high school...what I'm asking you to do is start talking to others about the craft, find someone you can mentor, find a writing community and get involved. If you haven't convinced yourself that creating is your life's calling, teach what you need to learn...

No comments:

Post a Comment