Sunday, January 2, 2011

Born to Write

I have mixed feelings on whether or not writing can be taught. I think writing is one of those things that you learn on your own. Not that you don't read a crapload of other people's stuff and then read a crapload of writing about writing but the actual "practice" itself...I think writers eventually either do it or they go crazy. And sometimes they do both. :)

While I have reservations on whether writing can be taught, it can--without a doubt--be nurtured. It can be encouraged. It can be drawn out. And sadly it can be squelched. Naturally, there are writers who don't give a flip what you say to them...they'll write regardless because they don't know how to do otherwise. However, I do think there are those who replay the voices of disgruntled teachers and misguided parents etc. etc.--you're not good enough, smart enough--and they keep their desire to create deep within them somewhere...just waiting to get out.

If I can do anything in this New Year, I hope I can encourage just one person to get back to doing what they were born to do. There's nothing quite like sitting down to a blank page and breathing life into it.

2 comments: