Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Most Fascinating Person in the Room

I'm an instructor at a local college and we're starting a new quarter tomorrow. My students' first assignment is to tell me why they are the most fascinating person in the room. And of course, I'll start things off by telling them a little about myself: I was a professional clown, I'm forty years old, I have a four-year-old daughter, and I write books for other people.

I'll tell them that I hope they learn as much about themselves as they learn about "writing." And that's the truth. There are so many people in this world who know very little about themselves. They don't know their passions. They don't know their beliefs. They don't know what makes them tick.

That's the amazing thing about writing: it gives you the chance to learn about yourself and the world around you. If I can encourage just one person in the classroom (and on this blog) to dig a little deeper, that will be enough. Why are you the most fascinating person in the room? What is your passion? What are your beliefs? What makes you tick?

2 comments:

  1. Funny, I was just typing up an entry for my blog about something similar. It's only when we begin to know ourselves that the real talent inside us begins to flourish. Not style but substance is the marker of progress. Creativity is about being engaged and having a unique perspective. That kind of endeavor requires knowing yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, J. Sounds like we're on the same page! Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete