Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Weird Mental Processes of Tim Burton

So I was reading an article on Tim Burton, and his new "self published" book "The Art of Tim Burton," described by latimes.com as "a lavish art book featuring more than 1,000 images, some of which go back to childhood," and it made me want to rush out and pick up a copy.


I was curious for several different reasons. For one, I'm a huge Tim Burton fan. I love his quirky visuals and his artistic world view. It's hard to explain, but I see him as a kindred spirit. Everything he has ever done--with few exceptions--has inspired me to create something.

With that said, his desire to self-publish also piqued my interest. Burton is quoted as saying he was approached by publishers, "but they didn't seem too enthusiastic." Considering he is a household name, self-publishing is probably not a bad route to go--and he clearly doesn't need the money--but what does it say about publishing when they don't snatch up a Tim Burton project.


But even more interesting to me, was a quote about his process. In speaking of his book, he offers this gem:  "It's not showing me as a great artist," he says. "It's just showing my weird mental process, the way things grow. Whether I'm working on a movie or doing a drawing, my favorite time is making it. When I finish, there's a nice sense of accomplishment, but really, it's about the process for me."


I couldn't have said it better myself. It's all about the act of creation. It's all about taking a blank piece of paper and breathing life into it. It's all about getting lost in the world of ideas and somehow being present all at the same time. Makes me want to finish up this post and get busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment